Saturday, August 22, 2009

Keep/throw/keep/throw/keep/throw...

Friday, August 21: I'm sitting at my desk thinking 1 week from now I will be thinking 24 hours from now we'll be in a moving truck crammed full of our stuff and cats headed towards the MN border. And when that time comes, I'll be thinking 1 week ago I was sitting at my desk thinking about how in a week and a day I'd be doing what I'm doing now. Brains are weird.

Saturday, August 22nd: It's getting to the point with packing now where I'm trying to decide whether or not to get rid of incredibly important things. Things like my disco ball. I think I've officially decided that's going in the KEEP pile. I mean, come on... it's a fucking disco ball! A real one, too - not one of those deals you see at Target and Spencers.

And then there's my Zero Blaster. This was something I remember I HAD to have when I read about it. I went to 3 malls before finding a store which still had them in stock. Intressting thing about my Zero Blaster is I never, ever use it.. yet feel this inexplicable need to hold onto it. Some day at some point in my life, a time will come where I'll think "Dang... I'm glad I held onto my ugly purple zip gun that shoots fog rings."

The Zero Blaster may very well someday save my life. Therefore as of right now I have officially decided that it's going in the KEEP pile. How exciting that this moment has been immortalized in my blog. I'm glad you could be here to share this moment with me. I've thrown/sold/given away tons of shit over the past few weeks, but for some reason I can't bring myself to part with my trusty Zero Blaster. Even though it's got a nice skin of dust growing on it and the last time I shot fog rings was probably a couple of years ago when I first got Frank and wanted to see what he'd do with floating zeros. He watched them, turning his head very slowly as they'd float by. You could tell he was thinking about swatting at one, but he held back and just watched. Just like with the laser pointer, he gave it a few minutes and then once he figured it out, BORRRRING.

Also recently spared from the giveaway/sell bonanza was the infamous green davenport that I more or less inherited when Gramma Gertie passed away a few years ago. It's this beautifully hideous vomit green 1950s sectional full of family history. Lots of Christmas presents unwrapped and pictures taken while sitting on that sucker when we were kids. It was tearing me apart thinking of potentially seeing it go to someone on Craigslist. Wifey to the rescue - she called me at work and surprised me by saying we're splitting a storage space with her parents for a year for dirt cheap. The couch (and her set of dining room chairs) will not only be able to live in there, but her dad Buffalo Bob will be wrapping it 3x in heavy plastic to protect it from being chewed apart by small rodents. THANK YOU, WIFE... and to my parent-in-laws!! Yous guys are the bestest.

Today is the day I thought would never happen: someone is coming to look at the Pinto and might very well buy it. I've reached a point with the car where I'm okay with selling it. It's rusting out and beat to Hell now, just shell of the awesome babe magnet of a wood paneled station wagon it once was when I first got it. It served its purpose and I loved the time I had with that car. It's time for us to part ways now. If the guy who is looking at it today takes it, that will be a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders - not only because it's the last "big chunk" we need to get rid of before moving, but also because he seems like a good guy. I would be happy to see the Pinto go to a good home. Keep your fingers crossed.

In 7 days we'll be on our way, and there's still a lot to do between now and then. Time to go make me an iced mocha and get shit done. To quote my hero Navin R. Johnson: "What do you think I do, sit around and write letters all day?"