Friday, August 14, 2009

The Moving Chronicles: Chapter I

HUGE progress was made yesterday while sneezing from the dust we're stirring up packing everything and shuffling things around as we sell them: Bryn sold her Jeep-mobile! The person who bought it filled out a business check (he appeared to be a small-scale car dealer) for the amount she was asking for and will be back in 2 weeks before we leave to transfer the title and pick it up. Cha-ching... there goes another nice chunk into our savings account.

Speaking of the Jeep, one thing people axsk us quite frequently is whether or not we'll have cars in Brooklyn. NOPE. It would just be one more expense to worry about, and an incredibly impractical one at that for where we're living. And the parking... what a nightmare that would be. It would be like constantly trying to find parking at the mall during the final days of Christmas shopping. We've wasted enough precious minutes of our lives sitting in a car circling the blocks of Uptown and cussing thus far in life, so there's no need to do it any more at this point. We'll get around just fine via our bikes and train/bus rides... we're smack dab in the middle of about a dozen subway and bus stops, so what we can't walk or bike will get done one way or another, and quite easily.

We also have those often overlooked things located at the end of our legs called feet. Not only are they weird looking smelly things that we cover up with shoes, but they're good at taking you pretty much everywhere you need to go in the city. That's one thing I'm really looking forward to - the walking. Each week we've stayed there Wife and I prolly put more miles on our Chuck Taylors than we do in any given month here in Minnesota, and it feels good.

It will be very liberating to not have cars to say the least. I've been living sans car for almost a year now thanks to putting money in savings for this move instead of into my vehicle, which is in severe disrepair, and hell if I'd want a new car payment at this point in the game. It's been good practice for when the Jeep goes bye bye forever and we REALLY have no car. Plus my key ring will be about a pound lighter which is cool... it will lessen the elementary school custodian/Jingle Bells effect when I walk around with them clipped to my belt loop.




Today I took notice of something that I'm really going to miss when I'm no longer working at the Outsell office. I walk the Riverplace skyway over Hennepin to get outside for my lunch break walk. In the building across the street there's a stairway I take to get down to the street level and I use it specifically because of the way it smells - there's this intense crispy, industrial cement aroma which always reminds me of the way the stairs leading to the vending machines in the Cottage Grove ice rink smelled. I always get a few extra good huffs in on the way down and suddenly feel like I'm 8 years old again and stumbling around on ice skates. I can hear Stevie Nicks and Don Henley singing Leather and Lace on my dad's Marantz stereo receiver when I smell that. Those nostalgic lunchtime stairwell huffs are now numbered.

We obtain the moving truck in less than 12 days. We still have piles of stuff to get rid of, but we will. It feels good to cleanse the palate. Final Iced Ink show on 8/28, then we wake up bright and early 8/29 and we're adda here. I'm all, like, "Dayum, gurl!"