Friday, October 2, 2009

Micycle's 2009 Music Buffet by micycle

Micycle's 2009 Music Buffet by micycle


Earlier this year I cranked out three new Iced Ink tunes. Only one of them ("Ikki Lake") got around to being rehearsed enough to be played live by the "real" band, and unfortunately the summer got a little too crazy and zero of th...em were recorded by the actual band.

Who knows when/if these will be played by live musicians anytime soon.. that said, I think these demos deserve to be heard (FYI - these were recorded all by my lonesome at home in my undies with a handful of guitars, my computer and a drum sequencer). Without further ado, here they are! Sorry, no lyrics are available at present time. (ps - Joe and Barry: Miss you guys!)

Song-ographies:


"Don Julio" We went to Cabo in February 2009. I immediately became enamored with Don Julio Anejo tequila and this is my little love song I wrote for it.

"Ikki Lake" Iced Ink played a gig in spring of 2009 and shared a bill with a self-proclaimed "Leading female guitarist in America". Not only did I accidentally catch It bending over to pick up Its amp, which I still need to go to therapy for - but It also expected to keep the $20 that all three of the bands made that night. A week or so later, the song "Ikki Lake" was born as my angst-ridden musical diary of the whole experience. If you think you're a rock star and you really, really aren't, I'm sorry - but you're going to have to go fuck yourself.

"People Syrup" My my my.. Now here's a happy, light little piece of subject matter! This one is the result of a sick lil' musical experiment of forcing myself to not tell anyone about something rather horrifying that I saw until AFTER I'd gotten it out in music: A few months ago I was biking home and at a red light in DT Mpls... looked over to the corner on my right and there was a guy laying on the ground in a frozen mannequin-like position with a steady flow of translucent red drips coming from his head (thankfully he was facing the other way). A stranger was standing over him on his cell looking around frantically for police.

It freaked the shit out of me thinking I'd just seen someone who was likely dying or already dead.. and who knows why or how it happened. That's something I've never really experienced before and it's kind of hung with me, so what better way to let the demons out than through a really fucked up new Iced Ink tune?! People Syrup = the translucent red stuff leaking out of his head. There was a little dried sidewalk stain when I biked past the scene next morning (I HAD to look for it). Ish.