Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Dr Pepper: a man of mystery

This isn't the most fascinating thing to write about, but these are the sort of things that keep me up late at night.

I was just sipping on a Dr Pepper and got to wondering: What kind of pepper gives this drink such a unique and refreshing flavor? It doesn't taste like any peppers that I've ever eaten or any powders that I've used to enhance the tongue-burning factor of my foods. It really doesn't taste like anything but Dr Pepper.

And is the "Dr" part of the name representative of some sort of healing medicinal powers this drink holds (aside from quenching one's thirst)? And why is there no dot at the end of "Dr" in Dr Pepper? Is it not actually a doctor? Did they originally name it Dracula Pepper but need to cut out the acula to get the name to fit in the logo?

So I busted out my giant magnifying glass, put on my trench coat and detective hat, and off to YAHOO! I went to investigate. Here's what I found:

What flavor is Dr Pepper?

Huh. Way to answer a question without answering it. Looks like I now have the "Dr" part figured out, at least. But damn... I still can't place what that flavor is when I drink it. It's so weird - I try and try to figure it out, but in the end always hit that brick wall of telling myself Micycle. It tastes like Dr Pepper. Get over it.