Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A nice landlord?

I've had nice landlords in my day, as well as those that have proven to be the spawn of Satan. But this lady I'm working with now definitely takes home the cake in the "neat-o" department. I thought it was gonna be hard to find a landlord that would understand my foggy transient-esque living history for the past few years. But she took a real shinin' to me and my situation and was all for giving me a shot. I didn’t pull any sort of cowboy sob routine on her or anything, I just told her straight out that she might not be too enthusiastic when she got my rental app back from wherever they sent it to and why. An' she says "Lets not worry about that; I've been there before myself." Mrs. Brady was right: honesty is the best policy.

So today I embarked on my first official trip to my bitchin’ new place to take the first batch of stuff over and git my move-in checklist she said she'd leave me on the counter, and sitting with the checklist was a bit more than that. The checklist was nestled firmly into a big ol' basket full of dish soap, hand soap, a bag 'o' Chex mix, notepads, pens, a toofbrush, toofpaste, candy, bagels, little floor protector sticky things to put on what little furniture I have, along with a lot of other little practical trinkets.

Well damn! If that wasn't mighty kind. Huh! Not only did I get all that cool stuff that's never fun paying for, but I now also have a basket to leave out for when the Easter Bunny comes next Spring. I ain’t got shit from that heartless little rodent in about 20 years, so I don't want to hear any excuses this time around.

Goes to show, there are still genuinely nice, understanding landlords out there. Well.. maybe we should hold that thought until I devour my Chex Mix and find out whether or not she poisoned it.

This place is gonna rule. I’ll take before and after pictures and post ‘em here eventually – by the time me and my nesting instincts are done with it, it’s gonna be all Willy Wonka and shit. Anyone know where I can get an Oompa Loompa? Not one of the newer computer multiplied ones, but the old red white and green ones.