Tuesday, March 8, 2005

Here, you should read this.

Lady on sidewalk: "Here, you should read this!"
Me: "Huh?" Lady on sidewalk hands me small booklet and continues walking.

If you've walked around in the city, chances are you know what I'm talking about: Human Jesus literature dispensers. 99... no, 100% of the time when I am confronted with a booklet like this or find one on a bus stop bench, always printed out on tissue thin paper, I know without even looking that it's something telling me I have a choice:

1) Read it and follow the beliefs and instructions preached within. Realize that I need to pray more and be a better person.
2) Ignore it and throw it in the trash, which in the pamphlet-giver's eyes is basically my telling Jesus that he can shove it and write me out a one-way ticket to the fiery oceans of Hell when it's my time to leave the planet.

Um... yeah. Needless to say, I opt for #2 every time unless there's funny pictures to look at and share with my siblings. Where do these people come from? Why do they give me this crap? Why do they think I care? Don't worry; I'm not preaching my beliefs on this blog thingie, mainly because I'm ignorant and too busy to have any - and if I did, I'd certainly fill my time up with more productive habits than having them printed out and giving them to complete strangers.

The weather is getting warmer and these people will once again be coming out by the dozens giving out these leaflets like they're going out of style, so watch out!

They should at least start printing that stuff out on Charmin - it's better quality paper, and I could at least put it to good use before throwing it out.