Monday, October 17, 2005

McCartneyless in Minneapplesauce

I'm fortunate enough to be able take in music via headphones all day at work. It's nice, because it drowns out all of the keyboard pitter patter that goes on, not to mention it makes it appear as if I'm really concentrating and keeps people from stopping by for the "how was the weekend/did you do anything fun" kind of small talk that life is too short for.

So today I brought a stack 'o' cds, the top priority being Paul McCartney's All The Best CD. Every few months I dig that one out and listen to 2 particular songs on there nonstop, those being "Uncle Albert" and "My Love" - for whatever reason I love to analyze what's going on in those tunes from a composing standpoint. I'm always able to pick em apart, find new things I like about them, and twist and apply said things into my own music.

I plugged my headphones in, all excited and at the ready to get my McCartney fix. I opened the CD case and well gawd damn, there's my Slayer "South of Heaven" CD I've been looking for. No McCartney though. Cripes. Dern me and my dern haphazard CD stashing ways.

Lo and behold, McCartney was in my Link Wray CD case which I'd also brought along today. Cool. So I popped McCartney in with a sigh of relief… The opening orchestra drones of "My Love" kicked in, and 10 seconds into it the CD starts going tick tick tick tick tick tick tick. I took it out and inspected its underbelly only to discover a silver landscape of teeny fissures and craters that aren’t supposed to be on CDs. It only skips on that song and "Uncle Albert" - the only ones I want to hear. Gee whiz. I tried putting up with the ticking, but then the music would come to a dead halt for a few seconds. And resume. And halt. And resume. I just want to hear these dang songs, is that so much to ask for?

I'm actually considering wasting my lunch hour away on walking 1/3 mile to my car and driving to the CD Shoppe in Dinkytown in hopes that they'll have a new copy of this and I can get it out of my system. This will be the 4th or 5th time I've bought a CD that I already own due to my lack of TLC that my CDs deserve. Looks like it's time to show my arsenal of music a little more respect. Perhaps go through and organize it a little. Incorporate the Dewey Decimal System and only allow 3 to be checked out at one time.