Monday, August 23, 2004

Recording guitar capella = just like tracing something that isn't there

Spent a good chunk of time in the studio over the weekend with Chopper and my Les Paul for SMBASPY overdubs.



We heard a zit in my playing about 20 seconds from the end of "Enfriendemy" and the only way to fix it is for me to redo the whole song, which in theory would take about 3 minutes. BUT - there is a very difficult hurdle to jump right out of the starting gate: the intro. It lasts for about 10 seconds and we must have spent 45 minutes on and STILL didn't get a good take. The problem is that it starts off with me "playing with myself" (strictly in a musical way). I get an interesting 4 click countoff from Scara, then I start off the song by myself, and the band joins in.



Being a human, there is no way in hell without a click track guiding you that you can keep lazer precise tempo that is consistent every time while playing along with nothing (unless you're Terry Bozzio).. so every time I tried overdubbing the intro, I'd start, everything would feel fine as I was "playing on top of the air", and then the band on the recording would come in a few seconds early or late because there's no way to match how I originally played it. We're doing this recording on tape, not on computer, so there is no easy way to pull it off other than using The Force. Where's my cape and light saber when I need them?



We shall see what happens. If I managed to do half the stuff I did while doing Iced Ink overdubs, I'm sure I'll get this one. 99.999% of the time, the worst enemy in these situations is thinking about it too much while you're doing it and not letting instinct take over.



Why did we not use a click track? I have no idea....



----



Q: How many guitarists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?



A: 5 - 1 to screw in the lightbulb and 4 to watch and talk about how much better they could do it.