Saturday, September 25, 2004

I've got D sized batteries coming out of my arse

My band Iced Ink (http://www.icedink.net) was chosen as one of the bands from Minnesota to be featured in this year's nation wide Zippo Hot Tour band competition. It has proven to be quite exciting thus far - it has landed us a bunch of great shows on great nights, and we recently found out we're being professionally filmed at our show in November. The footage is allegedly going to be broadcast on HDNET in the early part of 2005... cool!



They emailed all of the bands at one point and gave us a heads up to keep an eye on the mailbox for some promotional materials. Yesterday I received an extremely cumbersome beat to hell box from UPS from the Zippo headquarters. The top of the box looked as if it had been punched in, and for that I'd like to give a hats off to the delicate measures UPS takes with handling all of their packages... he he!



I slid the box over to a good spot on the floor and ripped that sucker open. Inside were tons of different sized fancy shmancy flyers advertising the shows. Also included were about 75-100 CDs they had pressed with all of the Minnesota bands to hand out to people for free and fish them into coming to see us.



Now here's where it gets interesting. Remember how I mentioned the box weighed a ton? Amongst the lake of Styrofoam peanuts, nice smelling flyers, and CDs were nine Maxell D sized battery 16 packs. Nothing else. No notes of what to do with them or why there were so many... or why they were there in the first place.



Are we supposed to give 1 D battery away with each of the free CDs? Do I throw them into the audience at our shows and yell "FREE BATTERIES!" as a token of our appreciation? I have no clue. There is such a ridiculous amount of D batteries in that box that I'm contemplating building a castle out of them.



Anyways, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Zippo for all of the stuff. Everything looks great, we'll do our best to hand every last flyer and CD out. I think I have an idea of what to do with the batteries.



Hey close family and friends: guess what you're getting for Christmas...?