Wednesday, September 22, 2004

The Pinto Chronicles Vol.I

Today I shall begin journaling the entertaining banter one receives while driving a poop brown shiny wood paneled 1974 Pinto around the Twin Cities Metro Area.



9.22.04



1) Approx. 3pm - Carload of African American gentlemen at a stoplight on 26th Street in South Minneapolis. Passenger seat occupant looks over and yells "yeah, baby!" at the car. I mention the fact that they were African American because I want to prove a point: driving a Pinto can bring us as people closer together, regardless of skin color. "Ebony and Ivory, live together in perfect harmony... side by side in my poop brown Ford Pinto.." If Pintos were still being made, the world would be a better place. "But don't the gas tanks explode?" everyone says. Yup - it's called natural selection... look it up. And try and not kill yourself while you're at it. Whoa; that would be pretty ironic.



2) Later that evening while cruising on 35W at approx. 60 MPH, I heard honking. It was strange to hear honking on a highway. Turns out it was a guy on my left in a big old pickup truck smiling and giving me the thumbs up. At first I thought he was hitting on me, but then I realized "oh yeah... it's the car, it's the car" and let out a sigh of relief.



to be continued..