Monday, May 2, 2005

Robster Craws and other boring random Monday debris

Good morning, audience!

Today I'm putting the final touches on the arrangement of a new Iced Ink tune that I'm pretty psyched about. This one is a little more on the complex end of our repertoire.. it's always fun to send the finished demo out to the band and hear real musicians bring it to life. For you non-musicians, arranging = just what it sounds like. Taking parts of a song and arranging them in an order which makes them (hopefully) groove and flow together to make a cohesive song. After the arrangement stage comes the part where I sit for hours on end in front of the computer recording it for the band to learn.

The working title of the song is "Robster Craws". For all of you 80s movie buffs, the title pays homage to a conversation Booger and Takashi were having while playing poker in Revenge of the Nerds. The film is a timeless classic indeed.. this, my friends, is the subject matter that Iced Ink songs are made of. Screw love songs, songs about girls, being angry, etc.. in this band, it's all about things like washing machines, beards, and in this case a college burnout taking money from one of his fellow Asian Tri-Lambs while "teaching" him how to play poker. It's sort of hidden on the website, but here's a link to other circumstances which have inspired Iced Ink music in the past: http://www.icedink.net/behindmusic.htm

In other news, I really hate drinking coffee out of a real glass or cup. I say this because the cup of coffee I bought at the cafe I'm at right now served it in a clear glass mug. Gimme a paper cup, man!! And if it's an iced mocha, I'll take a flimsy clear plastic cup over a real one any day. It just seems to taste better when you're drinking it out of something that you get to throw away when you're done. I have a feeling much of this is due in part to my growing up in a disposable generation.. my brain has been programmed to think that consuming food and beverage is more enjoyable when I get to throw the dirty dishes out.

Either that or I'm denying the fact that I'm lazy and don't like to do dishes.

We watched Harold and Maude yesterday, something I've always seen bits and pieces of but never watched all the way through. Ruth Gordon (who I remember from My Bodyguard) was such a cutie pie! "WhOJOOJOOJOOSUCHA CUTIE PIE!! Who's such a cute little lady? Who JOOJOOJOO..?!" That is what I'd probably say to her if I met her back in the day. Classic scene: mourners loading a coffin into a hearse outside of a church as a marching band was going by playing pep-band music. Note to self: when writing will, be sure to note that you want marching band to play at your funeral.

A fake-bake fake-blonde Jiffy-Boob Barbie Doll Girl just walked into the cafe and every male eye seems to be glued on her. Guys are so stupid - they make like they're looking up at the menu or at the clock and it's obvious they're just trying to take a gander at her. I've never been much of a gawker - especially these days thanks to current circumstances. Attention guys: for more synthetic unattractive ladies that are way out of your league such as this one, might I suggest you attend the Great White concert this week in Cottage Grove.

That's all I've got for today, folks... have a pleasant Monday - I have a busy day ahead of me: 1) Make & consume lunch with the lady, 2) Wait to hear back from job interviews 3) Finish up "Robster Craws", 4) Try not to fall asleep in the middle of the afternoon.

I can hardly contain myself from the excitement...