Friday, June 17, 2005

I'll take 1 Big Mac and a copy of "Red Dawn"

It's time for you to meet RedBox.

If you haven’t seen the ads yet, Mac-Donald’s now rents movies via a giant red robotic cube placed in the lobby called a Redbox. Pay it a dollar and it will spit out a movie for you to watch and return within 24 hours. As long as you have a major credit card with which to swipe through the Red Robot.

At first I was quick to question this. It seems to be an odd pairing – a McNugget Value Combo Meal and one night rental of “Hitch”. Why would Mac-Donald’s feel the need to provide such a service? Is business really that bad where they need to lure in a billion more customers?

But then on the other hand, just like every damn thang else in today’s complex world of retail branding and consumer brainwashing, why not? You can never really say “I’ve seen it all,” because just when you say it, something ridiculous like the marriage of movie rentals and fast food comes along. And I’m sure it will be a success.

After the novelty of this wears off, it will be on to the next gimmick. I don’t know about you, but I’d like to be able to get an oil change and simultaneously purchase an Oreo Blizzard at a Dairy Queen/Rapid Oil Change. Go to Starbucks and be able to pick out a new pet hamster or gerbil (plus accessories) while waiting for my iced mocha.

It would be nice someday to be able to buy minnows, worms, and other live bait at Quiznos. Going to Chipotle? Why not have the luxury of picking out some new carpet while you’re dining? I’d also like to someday go to Target and be able to buy groceries… no wait, they’ve already made that one possible.

You know, it’s been a while since I’ve seen Super Size Me. I’m gonna go get me a Big Mac and see if Red Box is capable of renting out a movie which nutritionally belittles the very institution it resides in.