Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Big Nothing:

Being a geetarist, I occasionally stumble upon ideas that have been buried in the back of my mind for quite some time and am not sure how I suddenly remember them after they've been gone for so long. Sort of like every so often when I catch a whiff of certain brands of bubble bath. I'm suddenly brought back to when I was a kid and received a bottle of dinosaur bubble bath for Christmas with that same scent. All of a sudden there it is in my brain: the bottle with the hard brown plastic T-rex head on it and the smell of the thick wrapping paper whomever gave it to me used to coat it.

And so it happened today when I picked up my guitar: a haunting, depressing, beautiful, minimalist little song came out of my fingertips that I hadn't remembered or played in a good ten or so years called "The Big Nothing". I was 22 during its inception and it was my way of giving a nice big middle finger to the quandaries that tend to arise when you're a hopeless romantic. I couldn't figure out how to finish the tune off and left it at that.

Due to circumstances as of late (not to mention I'm about a block away from where I originally wrote it), out it popped again like an old high school friend a few days ago to finish itself off. All of the gaps and holes it once had have been resolved. POOF! It returned like it never left.

I love it and wonder where it's been hiding out the last ten years. Regardless, it's nice to have it back and I now wonder when the next old song will jump out at me from out of nowhere like this one did.

p.s. - It'll be ripe and ready for its debut at this show *cough cough*