Saturday, June 25, 2005

NO GUNS ALLOWED BEYOND THIS EXIT

We had lunch the other day in a local watering hole and I noticed a sign that caught my attention. It read:

NO GUNS ALLOWED BEYOND THIS ENTRANCE.

"But Micycle, I see those all over the place!" you say. Well DUH, but this one caught my attention because it was put up on the door so you could only see and read it as you were on your way out of the place. Usually places of business have these signs posted so they're visible from the outside of the establishment, but I guess this place is taking a new approach: Sure, bring your guns in, but you have to leave 'em here. Instead of protecting their employees and clientele, they're more concerned for the safety of everyone else.

Person 1: "Mmm, that lunch was delicious! Want to go see a movie or something?"
Person 2: "Okay!"
[both getting up and walking towards door]
Person 1: "Aw, shit."
Person 2: "What...?"
Person 1: "Looks like I have to leave my gun here."

These signs are just plain silly to begin with... I think before their inception we all pretty much knew to keep the guns at home when going to rent a movie or getting a latte. So I guess it's kind of cool that this place gave it a new twist by allowing guns into the place but not letting them out. Perhaps they're part of an underground gun sales ring and were running low on inventory.

I've always thought it would be better to have a NO GNUS ALLOWED BEYOND THIS ENTRANCE sign in the window, 'cause when I bring my pet gnu around, I get pretty pissed when I walk in with him and they tell me he has to stay tied up outside.