Thursday, August 4, 2005

Toothpaste = empty calories?

I think toothpaste should have nutritional information displayed on each and every tube. I'm trying to watch my calories and every time I get on the scale feel that I should be losing more weight than I am. I recently made a comprehensive list of everything I put into my face and the only thing I can think of that hasn't yet been factored into my caloric intake is toothpaste.

I'm guessing that the semi-translucent gel toothpaste has less fat than the solid white or blue colored pastes, but more sugar. Vice versa with non-gel toothpaste. If that's the case, I'm currently using Aquafresh and that is 50/50. With equal amounts of sugar and fat, Aquafresh could very well be one of the least healthy toothpastes out on the market right now. It's like I'm brushing my teeth with a donut or something.

And what about all of the vast flavors of toothpaste developed for children - you've got berry, bubblegum, grape...? That stuff must be loaded with calories, cause it tastes so damn good.
If toothpaste is as unhealthy as I'm making it out to be, then it's time for the manufacturers to jump on the low cal bandwagon and start using Splenda in their recipes.

Maybe I'll try and make some homemade toothpaste. With Splenda. There's got to be a way to knock the calories out of this stuff yet retain at least a fraction of the delicious flavor. I'll start with some water, because water is in everything. Then thicken it up with flour (sorry, Atkins diet subscribers) and a touch of baking soda until it forms a dough-like consistency. Baking soda is low-cal and often praised on toothpaste packaging as an active ingredient. I know there's a line of sugar free flavored syrups out there with Splenda.. those will be the secret behind what gives my homemade toothpaste such a healthy yet appealing flavor.

I'm not sure what I'll keep my homemade toothpaste in, as it would probably be pretty hard to try and get it into a used tube. I guess I could heat it up and then pour it into a baster, refridgerate it until it's firm again and then try it out.

Yeah, that's what I'll do. Pardon me, I've got some homemade toothpaste to make.