Monday, October 4, 2004

Bring on that fog machine, baby!

Last Thursday my band played in a band battle. No, we didn't have suits of armor on and knock each other off of our ponies - this was a musical battle. I had not participated in anything like this probably since high school(?) and thought it would be great exposure for the band. It most definitely was.



Long story short, we played a great fog-filled set and placed 2nd out of three bands. There were quite a few people there and many of them seemed to really be getting into what we were doing, which is all I honestly care about.



They announced the results at the end of the evening. 34 votes for us, 37 for the winning band, and 32 for the band who I thought should have won. I think it was one of our best shows to date. We gained a lot of new fans which is not the easiest thing to do when you play the kind of music my band does.



Just between you and me: You know why I think it was one of our best shows? There was a fog machine on the stage. All I needed to see was that first cloud shoot out of that little thing and I knew it was going to be a good set. After that, I provoked fog machine button engagement for the remainder of our set. Although it makes my eyes and throat watery and my head feel a little strange, fog makes things look so bitchin'. Especially when the stage lights hit it. You can have green fog.. orange fog... purple fog.. Whatever color fog your little heart desires. You can hide in the fog. You can jump out of it. You can blow holes into the fog. You can stomp through it and pretend you're Godzilla and you've just destroyed a large city.



Whose idea was it in the first place to pair up fog machines and rock bands? Genius move, I say. Possibly the greatest move since the culinary marriage of chocolate and peanut butter.



You can be the lamest band in the world, but if you've got a fog machine backin' your shit up, it's all good.



Kudos to you, Star Central, for having a fog machine and not being afraid to use it.





Actual pic of my band from the show. You can't see me, because there's too much fog.