Monday, October 11, 2004

I own technology... it doesn't own me

Yesterday a nice man came into the coffee shop to apply for a job. I am not one to judge a book by its cover, but it's safe to assume he was a computer geek. He had the look.



He didn't want to fill out an application - he wanted to give me his info via a USB storage device that he was wearing on his neck... kind of like this thing here. He asked "Can I plug this in and print it out?"



Okay... now I love technological doodads as much as the next computer geek, but there comes a point where it crosses the line between convenient and just plain old nerdy. Wearing a USB flash drive around one's neck is crossing the line into geekdom. This made me look at myself and fear that this could someday happen to me, or maybe I'm already on the way and don't know it.



Dude: grab a piece of paper and a pen and write the shit down. It's not that much work, and there's way more romance and personality in a handwritten word instead of one printed out by an inkjet printer in Times New Roman font. Computers are great and everything, but if people are wearing computer hardware around their necks like that, something has gone seriously wrong with this world. Your computers are starting to own you instead of you owning them. Cell phones that take pictures are real cool and everything, but keep in mind that it's a freakin' PHONE, for the love of gawd. Get up, get outside and get yourself some fresh air.



Now if you'll excuse me, I have to publish my blog that I just spent 20 minutes typing up and go check and see if anyone's emailed me yet.