Monday, November 15, 2004

Come on baby, light my fire

Wow! With all of this writing I've been doing today, I feel like I'm on fire.. Apparently, so did this guy: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/us_bush_fire



  • "I've fallen, and I'm probably not going to get up."
  • "Those damn kids loaded my cigar again!"
  • "So.. does this mean I'm in trouble?"
  • "If you'd be so kind, I have a bottle of aloe in my back pocket that I can't seem to get to."
  • "Please.... help... giant invisible bear... on top of me... can't fight him... for much longer.."

I love news headlines like this. The first thing to cross my mind was if I was there, I would have wished I had Hershey bars, graham crackers, a bag of marshmallows and a skewer on hand to make some S'mores. Ever have a S'more with a hint of smoked human thrown into the mix? Either have I, but I bet it'd make fer some real tasty eatin'.



If you're crazy or dumb enough to set yourself ablaze in front of the White House, or anywhere for that matter, you deserve to live through it, you idiot. I lived with a burn victim for a few years (r.i.p. Ray) and he told me some pretty horrific stories of what he went through. And I'm sure what he told me was a diluted version of what he really went through. You know how much it sucks when you get a little teeny burn on your finger taking the pizza out of the oven? Imagine having that sensation all over your damn self. Ouch, that's gotta sting like the muthafuckin' dickens.



Maybe this guy had high hopes of making a huge political statement by killing himself in protest like the monk on the Rage Against The Machine album cover (see here). Maybe he was jealous and had high hopes on being the next RATM album cover. Sorry guy, but FYI - they're not together anymore. Maybe he is mentally insane and didn't ponder the consequences of lighting himself up.



He certainly wasn't thinking he would be extinguished and survive with burns over 30% of his body, did he? I bet right now he's doing a Chris Farley style "GAAAHD, I'm such an IDIOT!" and is thinking maybe he took his election result disgust (or whatever caused him to do this) a little too far. People can set fire to themselves all they want, but I doubt it's going to have a serious impact on who's in office and what kind of decisions they make.



Yeah... I think I'll just stick with the easy way out: occasionally complaining about it and reading the daily comics.