Thursday, November 18, 2004

I am convinced that Leo Kottke is a robot

I started the workday off with a Leo Kottke compilation CD I made. Leo is the man solely responsible for making me pick up an acoustic guitar and learn fingerstyle when I was a kid (See: finnegan).



The first song on the CD is a live version of "Busted Bicycle" off of his "The Best" LP. Every time I hear that song, it hits me like a ton of bricks, mainly because that's what it sounds like. No one that is human could possibly posses such flawless speed, accuracy, and command over a 12 string guitar like that. Especially when fingerpicking.



And it's not just the speed - the songwriting is equally impressive. Instead of "Busted Bicycle", he should have named it "Hello, My Name is Leo Kottke and I'm here to knock your sorry ass into next year with my 12 String". There's a slim chance that I'll be able to attend his upcoming Thanksgiving show at the Ordway which always leaves me in a trail of dust wondering "How does he do that?" If you ever see him live, keep an eye on his feet - they have a mind of their own.



In other music related news, Iced Ink fan Owen from the band Screaming Monkey Boner sent my band an email telling me he created an Iced Ink MySpace page because he wants to spread the word about us. Just when you're ready to throw in the towel, something like that happens and makes playing for 12 people and making $8 all worthwhile.