Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Caca who?

Last night after watching Bill Murray's hilarious appearance on Letterman where he was talking about how he was convinced he was poisoned, I had my index finger on the power button of the TV to turn it off. At that precise moment, Dave said "Ladies and gentlemen, Kaki King!"



Caca who? The camera zoomed in to a young girl alone onstage holding an electric acoustic Ovation 6 string. Ugh, I thought, here we go with another "I'm so sad, he doesn't want me, waa waaa..." poet-disguised-with-a-guitar Jewel-is-my-hero performer.



The second her fingers touched the strings, I knew I was dead wrong and was sucked into watching for the next 3 minutes like it was an intense guitar lesson... I was literally hypnotized. She was tapping, strumming, knocking, and doing just about every other thing to that guitar to make it sound like 2-3 guitarists and a percussionist playing, all by herself. She never sang or spoke a word. When she hit the last note, I heard myself saying out loud "Holy SHIT!"



Wha??? An amazing solo acoustic instrumentalist on national TV? And very easy on the eyes, no less? I was certain that Hell had frozen over or someone that worked for the network lost a poker game. "Sorry, James - I know you wanted Barenaked Ladies on the show, but you lost the game - so we'll pick someone nobody has heard of that doesn't sing. You might lose your job because of it; you know we only do top 40."



Last time I was this taken aback by music on TV was probably 1985(?) when I saw Leo Kottke on PBS. It was like standing there watching someone reinvent the wheel... hats off to whomever books the talent at Letterman for introducing me and a million other Late Night viewers to this girl and her unorthodox playing - I hope it's not another 20 years before the next person blows me away on national television.



She's on tour - watch the f*&k out, acoustic guitar fans, you're about to get your asses handed to you. If she was playing in MN on a night other than New Years Eve and the tickets weren't so expensive (she's opening for Marc Cohn), I'd be there faster than you can say "a".



Buy this girl's music - she deserves to make a living off what she's doing. http://www.kakiking.com/ FYI - the composition she played was "Playing With Pink Noise". Ms. King, when you're in town, let's hook up. I'll treat you to the finest dining experience White Castle on Lake Street has to offer.



See also: Michael Hedges, Minnesota's own Preston Reed and Billy McLaughlin