Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Welcome to The Eggnog Experiment.

I am "a fan of the nog" as it is so often said at the coffee shop. When this time of the year rolls around, I drink eggnog with an added element of suspense and uncertainty, treating every sip of nog as if it were my last one until next Thanksgiving. It is removed from store shelves sometime after New Years, ripping it out of my grasp without warning like some sort of cruel joke.



I got to thinking a few minutes ago: What if I froze some nog? Like an entire container of it, and then thawed the eggnogcicle out when I wanted some in a few months. Hmm.



It would probably develop that icky freezer taste in time if I just left it in the carton, which is why I'm going to take matters a step further. I have access to a vacuum sealing contraption called a Foodsaver, which allows you to put whatever you want preserved in a plastic bag, sucks all the air out, and heat seals the bag shut.



This is gonna be awesome. I already foresee one problem in my way, which is the Foodsaver's vacuuming feature "drinking" some of the nog once all of the air is sucked out of the bag. But if I wear safety goggles (like Mr. Wizard always did) and watch closely, I can cut off the suction and hit the seal button and hopefully have a nice, vacuum sealed pouch of eggnog to stow away in the freezer until I'm feeling like I need the cheer that only a nice, frosty glass of nog can deliver.



I assume that will be sometime in February or March, so be sure to check back then to see how it pans out. If it does work, I'll sell you a bag, but I can tell you right now that it's not going to be cheap.