Monday, January 9, 2006

What happened to all of the GOOD musics?

"Good" meaning music I find so interesting that I can't help but keep listening. This is all solely my musically attention deficit disordered opinion, so please read this with a grain of salt. Scratch that; what I listen to is what everyone else should like and if you don't like it, you suck.
I guess this is a side effect of being an obsessive compulsive musician whose numba one fear is writing something that's boring to me. Most of what's out there that I hear today bores me to tears and that's a bummer, because I want to like new stuff.

I'm listening to Steely Dan's "F.M." on repeat and can never get enough of this tune (go ahead and laugh, punk). It's like a really well balanced dinner for my ears all wrapped up in 5 minutes of sound. There's more interesting and groovy shit happening in this song than most bands today put on an entire CD. Why do people not make stuff like that anymore? For one thing, I guess, they'd probably get their asses kicked in and be dubbed a bunch of sissies. But who cares?

David Bowie, please grow your Ziggy mullet back and be weird again. Sting, please bury the hatchet with Copeland and Summers and get the Po-Leese back together. Frank Zappa, please rise from the dead and put out a few new albums. And for the love of gawd, dear Mike Patton: we Mr. Bungle fans are dying here. Seriously. Get back together. I hear you refuse to ever work with Trey Spruance again... Can't you just do one more album though? Pretty please with sugar on top?

Is the era of really good, interesting songwriting over, or am I just becoming a picky old fart that misses staring at big album covers and disappearing into 45 minutes of ear-tickling intriguing musics that take my imagination off into la la land?

Wait.. don't answer that question, please.