Friday, January 7, 2005

KISS knowledge vs. Stuff I should actually know

I received a KISS trivia game for the holidays (thanks, Cookie!) and have it on display at my "place of employment" as a conversation piece (#1 response to comments thus far is "no, it's not the lunchbox from 1978"). Lance: stop by sometime to nerd out with me.



A regular customer who is a teacher came in and busted the box open to test my KISS knowledge, and I was rattling off the most difficult of questions with ease. After a half dozen or so, I sarcastically commented on how proud I was of myself that I retain information like that, but he could ask me something as 3rd grade as state capitols and I bet he'd get a deer-in-the-headlights look out of me. So he did, and I failed my "name the state capitol" quiz with flying colors. Hey, at least I knew Minnesota's capitol. Thankfully. Ain't that American of me?



So.. I came to this conclusion: if I ever was put in a situation where my brains would be blown out if I couldn't name the capitols of at least 10 of our fine United States, I had better hope against hope that the brain blower-outer has a KISS Trivia game in tow as backup, and that he or she would be kind enough to offer that as an optional lifeline. Or at least let me answer some KISS Trivia in lieu of state capitols and let me walk away with only a severe limp.



If Mom and Dad are reading this, they must be so proud!