Monday, January 17, 2005

Skittles N Beer



Our Saturday night Area 52 show rocked like a bowl full of Quarry breakfast cereal (only you old school SNL fans will get that one.. if you're not, sorry - please substitute the comparison with something else which is plentiful in heavy, rock-like substances). Playing in bands with people that I know can carry the ball is a luxury I will never take for granted.. it enables me to completely space out with 110% confidence, leave the planet for that 45 minute set, and just let my fingers and sticker/sweat-encrusted Stratocaster do the work.. FYI bandmates VomitGod and Scara: just you watch yourselves when you drive that minivan over the border whenever you decide to move... I'll be waiting in the bushes to shoot out your tires, knock you both out, and throw you into the back of the Pinto to head back to Minneapplesauce!



The lineup consisted of the always entertaining and all around nice dudes Silly Little Nothings, and both my bands Iced Ink and She Might Eat French Fries (see links beneath my profile to the right). Was probably one of the best shows we've played.. Iced Ink probably didn't go on until well after 12:30am, and there was still nice big crowd that stuck around until the bitter end; some even far after the music stopped. Kudos to all the folks at Area 52 for the support and great night. Some photos courtesy of A52-er Heffay can be seen here... Most of them are of the audience members, which I like, because it is evidence that on occasion, more than 8 people show up to see us play (hehe!)



Now onto the real reason behind the title of today's entry, Skittles N Beer. I have what some might call a bit of a sweet tooth. Some people like crack, some people like heroin... I happen to prefer sugar. I had me a bag of Sour Skittles I was munching on thruout our performance, and came to realize that those combined with Newcastle makes for the ultimate performance enhancer. I was bouncing around like a caffeinated monkey hooked up to a car battery - so to all you musicians; classical, rock, metal, opera.. whatever it might be you do, or even if you're an athlete, be sure to try a steady intake of Skittles N Beer for the duration of one of your performances to test it out. Sure, it's not very good for you and turns your mouth into coarse sandpaper, but damn.. holy buzz, Bat Man.



On that note, I can't feel my tounge and my teeth hurt.. maybe I'll opt for standard issue red bag Skittles next time - I think the intense sour coating on the green bags burnt the insides of my mouth off. All for rock and roll, man.