Wednesday, January 5, 2005

Lego-tar

I just had an idea... what if I made a guitar body out of Legos and somehow harnessed a real guitar neck and electronics onto it? With the internet at my disposal, I promptly executed a Google query with the words "Lego" and "guitar" to see if anyone has taken a stab at this highly fragile idea. I actually did build a Lego-tar one time with my brother Chuck's Legos when I was a kid and obsessed with owning an electric guitar, but it was a piece of crap. Not to mention eventually we needed those Legos to build Torture Town (I'll explain that can of worms in a future journal entry).



Looks like this dude was one step ahead of me, name and all, gal-dammit.. there goes the information superhighway fucking up my sense of originality again. He even has the same Les Paul that I do, although I replaced the pickguard and knobs with much more bitchin' ones. He done real good on his Lego-tar, but it looks like he only made a non-functional guitar body just for looks. Plus it's a Les Paul body - I'm more partial to Strats. Actually - with a little careful planning, I could pretty much make just about any damn shape I wanted to (see: Lego-tronic Bootsie Collins pic above), providing I had the $7,000 of Legos at my disposal with which to do it. If you've ever taken a gander at the hefty price tag of Lego sets on store shelves, you know very well that an addiction to Legos is almost more costly than a cocaine or hooker habit, providing you go for the good looking hookers and high quality coke.



So. I'm going to do a few sketches, and when I get out of the severe financial drought I'm in, I'm gonna find me some Legos and get to work. "But Mike... Lego sculptures easily fall apart!" you say. Well, there's a little tube of something called Super Glue that will easily take care of that problem. My brother recently reminded me that I used to glue my fingers together with that stuff as if it were a magic trick. Yeah, I was pretty smart when I was a kid. But anyways... if Super Glue can hold a construction worker to an I-beam like it does in the commercials, it can certainly hold a massive guitar-shaped glob of Legos together, yes?



Just you wait.. this thing is gonna kick ass. Factoring in the cost of Legos, my lack of knowledge with guitar electronics, and the mountain to climb of building a Lego-tar with decent action, I figure my Lego-tar will be done in oh... about 10-15 years.