Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Just call me Mac-muthafuckin'Gyver

You didn't think I'd leave without one final nugget of love, did you? Aw Hell no. I'm waiting for some laundries to dry and have some time to kill. Peep this:

So tonight I received a call from Tim the sound guy at the Uptown requesting that I come down there and bust a can of Finnegan whoopass out for him so's he could test out a new acoustic microphone the venue just bought. He lured me in with a beer and said it would only take 20 minutes. I would finish nice and early by 10pm, sort of a pseudo-opening act for the bands that were already playing. Never one to pass up an opportunity to grace the stage of the Uptown (and free beer, no less), I obliged.

I showed up, played 3-4 tunes, put my guitar in the case and headed out. It was a fine set indeed and the new mic sounded great, or so I hear.

I got to the Pinto and realized I didn't have my keys.

Uh oh.

After about an hour of scouring the bar (with the help of Tim and his sound man flashlight, thankyouverymuch) and tracing over the path I walked about a million times, still no keys.

I walked out to the Pinto and realized one of the back windows was sort of open. I could reach in and alllllllmost touch the lock to disengage it. After several failed tries, I took off my wallet chain, made a loop out of it, and after swinging it towards the lock about a dozen or so times, it hooked on and I was able to pull it up and unlock the car. Presto! Alas, after tearing apart the inside, my keys were not in the car.

I took the bus home hoping my caretaker would let me in so I could get my spare keys to everything. She of course didn't answer, so I called the emergency maintenence line for my building (which comes with a $50 service fee, mind you) thinking they could let me in. Yep, $50. But I didn't give a rat's ass at that point. I have my spare keys in the apartment, and that's alls I cared about. The nice man on the line said that would cost $85 because this was an after hours emergency call. Fuck that says I, and hiked it up the creepy outside stairs in the back of the building to my back door and bathroom window.

I balanced on the railing and was able to reach the bathroom window screen, tear that motherfucker out, and thank gawd I didn't lock the window last time I closed it. It slid up with great ease (don't get any ideas, criminals - that thing is now locked for the season!) Nearly falling on my ass and a bunch of dried pigeon dung, I weaseled my way through the window and crashed onto the bathroom floor. Found the spare keys to my place and car, and all was well.

Out I went to hop on the bus. I felt a weird sting in my finger and took a looksie - eek! Blood! I guess I cut it breaking into my place or something. Huh.

It was about 12:03am at this point, and the bus stop said the next bus that came was 12:25. *sigh* It's about a 20 minute walk to the Uptown and I was freezing my arse off and hella cranky, so I started hoofing it. Beats waiting at the bus stop going nowhere fast and freezing. Of course, as soon as I got in front of the Uptown, the bus passed me by. I flipped it a mental birdy and headed into the bar to get my geetar and put this shit to an end.

And that I did. I'm at home and cozy warm now, waiting for the laundry to dry and eagerly awaiting getting on the plane tomorrow and kissing this place bye bye for a few days. One beer richer, $50 poorer. All in a day's work.

That said, nothing can possibly go wrong en route to NY, yes?

This is Micycle, over and out. We'll see you next week, and I mean it this time, dammit.